European Footpaths

European Footpaths
Amazing where you can travel to by foot!!!

Monday 28 March 2011

Learning time for Justin...

The last few days have been dedicated to Justin's training and we are getting to know each other. He really is a great guy. I have a fairly good experience with horses, having worked in the breeding industry and having owned a few of them myself but asses are quite different in many ways and I am learning as much as he is. He has not "worked" much in his life and apart from the odd Sunday ride with the children of the farmer from whom I got him, all he has ever done has been to "oblige" the girls he was presented to... What a job...
That means that I have to get him used to changing scenery and longish walks and he seems to really enjoy his new life. He is not scared of passing cars, lorries or tractors but has to stop and have a "think" at every new situation. At this rate, we'll be in Santiago for Christmas 2012... I believe it is important to let him understand what is being asked of him rather than imposing it on him. Already I can see some progress and think that it will be a hands-on kind of training as it is impossible to experience every situation here on the farm. Crossing a stream is a challenge at the moment as he does not like his feet sinking in the mud before even reaching the water. If he could only get to the point of seeing the bottom of the river it would help as it is only four or five inches deep at this ford, but getting there is not possible yet. He is however quite manageable. So far, I haven't had to play tug'o war or push him from behind... When passing a field with horses or asses in it, he is quite "loud" and get a bit "hot and bothered" but the dammage is more to my eardrums than to my arms so, so far so good. Trouble is, Normandy IS the horse country and by the time I reach the Mt ST Michel, I will need an hearing aid... Walking over a tarpaulin, having dogs go for his legs,
free exhaust mopeds screeming past, walking between tractors, getting in and out of a shed where there is no turning room, nothing seems to bother him that much. When things get a little bit tricky is when Gamin tries to speed things up and thinks he can help by getting behind and "pushes" with loud barks and growls. I then am a bit worried for his face, knowing the precision and the force a kicking donkey or a horse can have. But he does not really mean it and I think Justin realises this and just ignores him.

No comments:

Post a Comment